Friday, August 28, 2026

White Noise

 Okay I have to admit I wasn't entirely sure what "white noise" meant, so I looked it up and these are some of the things that were noted.

According to Google "white noise" is a steady, uniform sound that combines all different frequencies of sound audible to the human ear at the exact same volume and intensity.

Because my brain is not wired to scientific information I can read this sort of explanation, and really be none the wiser. Anyway it goes on to explain how it works. Here's hoping it makes more sense to me.

There is equal energy. It has a flat frequency spectrum, meaning low, middle, and high tones share equal power. 

It has sound masking ability. It fills the background and covers up sudden, sharp noises that might wake or distract you.

It is named "white" because it mimics white light, which combines all the colors of the visual spectrum.

Ah now I know, kind of!

Definitions by Context

Physics/Acoustics   A signal or sound wave with a flat, uniform frequency spectrum across a wide range.

General/Informal   A steady, unobtrusive background sound (like a fan, static, or rain) used to block out other noises or fill silence.

Medical/sleep   A mixture of sound frequencies used to mask unwanted sounds that interrupt sleep or concentration.

So what?

Why is the use of "white noise" even a thing nowadays?

Is it because there is too much other noise in our lives, through our work, leisure, transport, labor saving devices (why are we more tired and stressed than generations before who didn't have them?), and technical gadgets of all electronic varieties, 

and not enough silence,

and often when there is silence it just sounds like ringing in our ears?

Our modern world is consumed by noise to the great detriment of our interactive relationship with God, which again involves listening to Him and not just talking at Him.

Noise consumes us and wearies us. Excessive exposure to noise does make it difficult to think, to be creative, or to communicate with each other clearly and effectively. We are literally drowning in noise, and our bodies carry the stress of it.

I love to walk in nature, to listen to bird song, and tune in to different noises I hear in the countryside. I don't have headphones on or earbuds in when I walk, but I think I am one of the dwindling few who choose to disconnect from continuous noise when on the move.

For many people there is literally no moment of silence during a day, and then they turn to "white noise" to help them get to sleep at the end of it.

Do you think now could be a good time to change our lifestyles just a little, and allow the "sacred noise" of the voice of the precious Holy Spirit reach our ears.

What if we tuned out of all the other noise every day for just a few minutes, and learnt to listen for and to God's voice?

Guess which frequency the Holy Spirit uses?

Any of the ones He has created. 

He longs to speak to us if we could maybe move away from focusing on "white noise" to help us concentrate or sleep,

to the One who spoke all things into existence,

and continues to desire to speak to us, 

if only we would take time to listen.



1 comment:

  1. Isn't listening to God's voice one of the most wonderful things we can do in our day?

    ReplyDelete