Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Sheep Mode

 Are you like a sheep?

Are we all like sheep?

It is an interesting question when looking at Scripture and thinking about faith. 

Why does Jesus liken us to sheep?

Well I looked it up on the internet as most of us tend to do nowadays, rather than getting a book from a shelf or going to the library to seek an answer from specialized literature about the subject of sheep. Do we even remember those days?

Anyway there are a bunch of similarities that can be attributed to sheep and to humans.(As we all are spiritually vulnerable.)

You know them; prone to straying, defenseless, lacking a sense of direction, easily frightened and panicked, unable to right themselves, unable to heal themselves, flock dependent, and not built to carry burdens.

So far mostly not so good....and yet!

There is one positive attribute that is very important, the ability to recognize and follow a voice. Sheep can be easily misled by strangers, but they uniquely know, listen to, and most importantly obey the specific voice of their own shepherd.

Jesus uses the analogy of a Shepherd with His sheep to talk about Himself. It is one of the "I am" claims in the Gospel of John.

John 10:14 "I am the good Shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep."

He also says "And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice." John 10:4

How do the sheep know his voice?

Because they have practiced listening to Him.


I could stop there. 

The point has been made, but I have a personal story with an unusual connection to the subject of sheep from very recent times.

It was my husband's birthday, and I was spending my five minutes actively listening to God's voice.

I was also in the process of preparing a roast lamb dinner as a special treat for us all as a family. As soon as I started actively listening in a quiet space I heard the words in my mind "mint sauce".

Not a common thing for people to hear when spending time with God, but true. Do we actually realize that God cares about leading us in the big matters of life and in the tiny decisions of each day too?

I had forgotten to buy mint sauce which my husband enjoys having with roast lamb. The Lord was prompting me to do something about it while there was still time for me to remedy the situation. He cares about me and He cares about my husband. We have mint growing on our land, so I was able to make mint sauce, and the birthday treat happened in its full effect.

Some might think this a ridiculous testimony, but I think it is lovely. God who created the universe loves us and cares about us, and wants to help us each day, even with ideas about food preparation. As a good shepherd He wants to help us have life in all its fullness and this covers all aspects of life.

We just need to practice listening to His voice.

1 comment:

  1. God cares about every aspect of our lives. He is truly our good Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete